A typical comfort food, with every family in Japan having their own recipe.
- 80g simmered hijiki
- firm tofu (standard size)
- 1 tbsp ground sesame
- 1.5 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp mirin
- a pinch of salt
- Rinse the hijiki well until the water runs clear, then soak in plenty of water for 30 minutes. Cut into bite size pieces.
- Wrap the tofu in a tea towel and place a plate or a bowl on top to force out excess water. Leave for about 15 minutes.
- Grind the sesame and tofu with a mortar and pestle (If you do not have them, use a bowl and fork) and mix with the sugar, mirin and salt.
- Add the simmered hijiki to the tofu mixture and mix well.