Rich, aromatic curry that’s unmistakably made in Japan
Curry has long been a favourite home-cooked dish in Japan, since its introduction from India via Europe. Its popularity spread with the invention of curry roux, which was made available in innovative cube form in Japan from 1950. The addition of fat means that these cubes, made from curry powder, flour, and seasoning, stay solidified at room temperature. Once added to meat or vegetables, they quickly transform a mundane stew into a mouthwatering curry. These easy-to-use cubes cemented the culture of curry in Japan, with S&B leading the way with its Golden Curry Sauce Mix. This ubiquitous product imparts a rich aroma of spices and herbs and is made with S&B original curry powder.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 carrot, grated
- 620ml water
- 100g S&B Golden Curry Sauce Mix
- 4 pork loin steaks or chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 50g plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 100g breadcrumbs (preferably panko breadcrumbs)
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Cooked rice to serve
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large saucepan, fry the onion and carrot over a medium heat until softened. Add the water, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 mins. Remove from the heat then add the curry sauce mix, in pieces, stir until completely melted. Simmer gently for another 5 mins, stirring constantly.
- Season both sides of the pork loin or chicken breasts. Lightly coat with flour, dip in beaten egg and then coat with breadcrumbs.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large heavy-based saucepan to 170°C / 340°F. Deep fry the meat for 3-4 minutes each side until golden and cooked through. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Slice the meat, drizzle with curry sauce, and serve with cooked rice.
Explore your taste horizons with curry sauce
S&B Golden Curry Sauce Mix works well with any combination of vegetables and meat, but it goes particularly well with onions, carrots, potatoes, beef, pork, and chicken. Serve with noodles, rice, or flatbread, try in casseroles or even as a pie filling. For a simple curry sauce that’s a great alternative to gravy for sausage and mash, melt butter in a pan, sauté chopped onion, add water, simmer for 5 mins, then add the curry cubes and simmer for another five minutes to thicken. Refer to S&B packaging for further details.
S&B Golden Curry Sauce Mix comes in three levels of spiciness: Mild, Medium Hot and Hot and is available in 100g and 240g packs. The range also includes Pre-cooked Golden Curry Sauce with Vegetables, sold in retort pouches. Another S&B favourite is wasabi including Wasabi Paste, the authentic taste of real wasabi in a handy tube, and beginner-friendly Wasabi Sauce.
WHERE TO BUY
Available at some major super markets or Japanese/Oriental grocery stores. Click here for buyer contacts of other S&B products.
…for recipes and more information about S&B Golden Curry Sauce Mix: www.sbfoods-worldwide.com