Naturally delicious, effortlessly versatile
Long months of unhurried natural brewing are behind the distinctly rich and mellow flavour of KIKKOMAN Soy Sauce, a delicious all-round seasoning that’s just at home with British dishes as it is essential to Japanese cuisine. KIKKOMAN Soy Sauce is made with just 4 ingredients—soy beans, wheat, salt, and water—and is completely natural with no artificial additives. The magic of KIKKOMAN lies in its rich umami, the fifth taste, which packs a uniquely satisfying punch. Adding a dash to a dish will instantly impart depth and flavour. To control the amount of salt in the dish, measure with a tablespoon; 1 tablespoon is equivalent to about a pinch of salt.
- 1 rack of pork spare ribs
- 2.5l water, or more, depending on the size of rack
- 1 banana shallot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
- 50g ginger, peeled and diced
- 1 chili, diced
- 100g ketchup
- 100ml KIKKOMAN Soy Sauce
- 50ml Worcestershire sauce
- 50g black treacle
- 150g soft brown sugar
- Cut the rack into 2 or 3 pieces, so that the ribs fit inside a large saucepan, then cover with water. Add the shallots, garlic, ginger, and chili, along with the ketchup, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and black treacle.
- Bring the pot up to a simmer, then cover and leave for about 1 hour or until the ribs are tender. Remove the ribs from the cooking liquid and set aside to cool, leaving the pan on the heat.
- Add the brown sugar to the liquor and cook down until there is about ½ cm at the bottom of the pan and it looks like a glaze.
- Blend the glaze in a blender until smooth. Place back into the pan and reduce until the glaze coats the back of a spoon.
- Once the ribs are cool, cut away from the bone so that you have individual ribs. Using a pastry brush, paint the ribs with the glaze.
- Place the ribs on a hot barbecue. After a few minutes turn and glaze again. Repeat until the ribs are well-coated and glossy and then serve.
Make sarnies shine with this umami-rich relish
KIKKOMAN Regular Soy Sauce in a red-capped dispenser is most common, but look out for the 250ml size, and thegreen-capped Less-salt Soy Sauce in dispenser and 250ml sizes. Gulten-free Soy Sauce is also available. Another KIKKOMAN favourite is Teriyaki Marinade, an all-in-one sauce for marinating chicken and salmon for BBQs and frying.